10 things that make my life better!
We are halfway through summer and time is going way too fast. I hope you are getting the chance to enjoy it. But just in case you aren't....here are some of my favorite things that bring me happiness on a daily basis. Hopefully if you don't have your own list you can take a couple from mine and start to implement a little bit of joy each and every day. No, it's not impossible. It's the little things and that is what all these are about. Small things that improve my day or give me a little bit of joy. A reminder of all the things I love about life. Are you ready? Here we go!
Scented soap. I splurge on Bath and Body soaps. I used to just buy soft soap from the dollar store but there really is such a difference. I typically wait until there is a sale and then I stock up and typically qualify for free shipping. It's usually a splurge at the time but then I don't need soap again for about a year. I have my usual favorites and my seasonal favorites. And it really does give me a pick me up when I was my hands and they smell so freaking good!
2. The first cup of coffee in the morning. This is something that we all typically enjoy but most people take it for granted. Try making it an experience. Find a spot to sit and enjoy it. Make sure to really notice the taste. Hold the cup between both your hands and feel the warmth of the mug. Remember back when you were a kid and thought drinking coffee was such a grown up thing to do. Now we realize being a grown up is not nearly as great as we thought but that is a story for another blog!
3. Writing in my gratitude journal. This is the #1 thing that changed my life for the better. Writing down 5 things everyday that I am grateful for from the past 24 hours. It can be big things or small things but you can't repeat things more than once a week because repeating would defeat the purpose. The idea is to start looking for things throughout your day to appreciate so you have things to write down. This switches your focus from what you don't have to what you do have.
4. I play pickleball every day. Almost every day. You obviously don't have to take up pickleball but find something that you love to do. Since discovering this sport I have found so much joy from taking part it in which is why I play as often as possible. It has introduced me to so many people and forged new friendships in my life. Find something active that you like to do and then do it. Whether it is something you do alone or with others. Whether it is active or social, there are many benefits to both.
5. Lighting scented candles at night while I relax at home in the evening. The candle itself gives off a warm glow and I pick some amazing scents. I do prefer Yankee candles which are pretty pricey but I usually buy them at Kohl's which often has sales up to 25% off. I also save my Kohl's cash to use for those purchases so it's like getting them for free.
6. Noticing the sky at sunrise and sunset. I also love to check out a full moon and see the sky full of stars. I'm lucky to live very close to the beach so I can watch the sun come up over the ocean whenever I want. I don't do it enough but it's quite often the sky itself is lit up with pink and orange. This goes for both the sunrise and sunset. Just stop to take notice and appreciate the moment. We often vacation in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. That is one place that I love to do some stargazing. I've never seen so many stars in the sky as I do while visiting there. The last time we were there I was thrilled to see numerous shooting stars!
7. Appreciate the house you live in. I happen to love where I live. I love the location. I love our house. I love the new kitchen we just had installed. I love how I have it decorated. And at least once a day I stop to admire all of it. I'll say it to myself, "I love my house so much." I know not all of us love everything about our homes but focus on what you do. Focus on how much you love how cozy it is or how the bedroom is a perfect nest for when you want to get some sleep.
8. That leads me to the next thing. I take a moment each night when I get into bed and all settled under the covers and my pillows placed exactly right under my head to sink in and literally say, "ah". It's so comfortable and I just relish the moment. I usually read for awhile before I go to sleep so I'm all comfy on my back while I get a few pages in. Then when I'm ready to sleep I turn over and lay on my side or my stomach and that is so comfortable too. Just remind yourself how lucky you are to have a great bed (hopefully) with all the luxurious linens and covers. We are so lucky in this country that we have such a lovely place to lay our head every night. There are so many that sleep in huts or in the street or in a ditch. Don't take your comfort for granted.
9. I play with my dog! My dog is my baby. She is nearly 16 years old and luckily still quite spry. She loves to chase a ball. Every time I don't feel like it I remind myself how we may not have much time together and how much joy it brings her which in turn brings me joy. I give her snuggles and kisses often and love to watch her snore. She is just the greatest little creature and I try to savor all the moments I have left with her.
10. I read. I read all the time. I love books. It's so great to always have something to go to when I'm feeling bored. It's always there just waiting for me, right where I left off. My favorite days are when I can spend the day soaking up the sun with a good book. It's great to escape into the life of someone else. I read mostly novels but some memoirs and a lot of personal growth books. I'm in several book clubs which is great because so many people interpret things in different ways. It's usually a lively conversation. It's cheap or free and always available.
So there are a couple of things I just love to do. Hopefully you picked up on something that you can use in your life. When you find something you love do it as often as you can. Anytime you get a chance to bring a little joy into your life you are obligated to take it!
If you think you could benefit from some one on one coaching to help you find more happiness every day please visit my website at hopefulist.com and click on training. There are a number of different programs to choose from and I would love to help you create a life that you love.
Go on out there and enjoy summer before it's over! And be badass this week. As you know, I'm always here cheering you on.